|Group Fitness Instructor|
|Caroline Family YMCA|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The Group Fitness Instructor is responsible for maintaining and organizing all daily activities as they relate to the Group Fitness.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values and character development model in to all classes.
• Monitors participants' ability to perform physical activity being asked.
• Ensures safety of all participants during class.
• Follows appropriate guidelines, techniques, and form for safety specific to the class.
• Is prepared for class with necessary personal equipment (music, clothing) 5 minutes prior to the start of class.
• Develops a working relationship with other group fitness instructors.
• Works as a member of the team in conjunction with the Group Fitness Director and all other Group Fitness Instructors.
• Opening and closing duties as assigned
• Ensure all safety and risk management procedures are adhered to
• Participate in the Annual Support Campaign
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Experience preferred in related fitness or teaching field. Certification is a must, see below.
• A current national certification: ACE, AFFA, YMCA Group Fitness Instructor For specialty areas: the appropriate current certifications needed (i.e. YOGA, Pilates, Kickboxing, Cycling)
• Teaching Skills - Ability to teach in a systematic manner.
• Ability to create workouts that are all inclusive of a variety of ability levels.
• Must be mature and have the ability to remedy situations calmly
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Good work ethic
• Capable of multi-tasking
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Comfort in working with diverse individuals and organizations
• Ability to work as part of a team
• CPR , AED and First Aid Certification (or will agree to become certified within three months of employment)