|Caroline Family YMCA|
Job Application Deadline:
Department Head Email Address:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
2. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
3. Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
4. Supports YMCA healthy eating and physical activities standards through coaching, mentoring, and monitoring menu quality
5. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
6. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
7. Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
8. Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
9. Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
10. Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum age of 16.
2. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
3. Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent.
4. Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
5. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
6. Completes Praesidium within 7 days of hire date.
7. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
8. Understands the YMCA is a public accommodation committed to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
1. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
2. Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
3. Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
4. Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
5. See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.
6. Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
7. Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
8. Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
9. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.