|General Ledger Accountant|
|$54,000 - $56,000|
Job Application Deadline:
|Open Until Filled|
Department Head Email Address:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The General Ledger Accountant should be detailed-oriented with the ability to perform accounting task in collaboration with internal departments. You will be conducting audits on the accuracy of the financial information, providing assurance that our accounting practices adhere to regulations, and performing general ledger entries, bank reconciliation and account reconciliations. This position maintains a high level of confidentiality. This position must adhere to proper internal controls along with policies and procedures within the strategic plan of the department. This individual must work in compliance with government regulations and adhere to accounting standards and regulations. Individual must possess strong technical skills and must work to drive process improvements in other accounting operations functions as assigned, display initiative, willingness to communicate, extreme attention to detail accuracy in performance of all job responsibilities.
· Collaborating with internal departments to gather, analyze, and interpret relevant financial information.
· Performing audits on financial data to assure its accuracy and truthfulness.
· Ensuring that financial information complies with professional and regulatory standards.
· Aligning general ledger accounting practices to support budgeting and forecasting.
· Entering financial data such as accruals, deferrals, reclassifications, and interdepartmental entries into the ledger on a monthly basis, as well as preparing reports.
· Performing account analysis to ensure that journal entries and balances are correct.
· Reconciling accounts with the general ledger.
· Gathering supporting documentation and performing recordkeeping.
· Keeping abreast of regulatory requirements and best practices in accounting.
· Reconciles and maintains balance sheet accounts
· Assist with month-end and year-end closings and annual financial statement audits.
· Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts.
· Supporting budgeting and forecasting activities
· Entering financial data in deferrals, accruals and reclassifications
· Stay updated with the best practices in accounting
· Perform other duties as required
· Bachelor's or associate's degree in Accounting or Finance; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· At least 2 years’ experience in general ledger accounting required. 3-5 years preferred. Prior experience or familiarity in non-profit is highly desirable.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Google applications preferred
· Proficiency in accounting and business management software, such as Abila.
· Thorough knowledge and demonstrated skill in matters related to accounting and financial policies, procedures and reporting.
· Solid understanding of U.S. GAAP required
· Exceptional attention to detail.
· Superb time-management and organizational skills.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.