|Group Fitness Instructor|
|King George Family YMCA|
|Part Time / Sub|
Job Application Deadline:
|Open until filled|
Department Head Email Address:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Delivers excellent service to all members, guests, and program participants. Responds to member and guest needs, promotes health and fitness through Y programs, and maintains cleanliness and organization of the YMCA class areas.
1. Instructs group fitness classes in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
2. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members and guests; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA.
3. Instruct using visual as well as verbal cueing in order to make class easier to understand for anyone from the fitness novice to expert.
4. Instruct using both high and low impact options for the same movement in the class setting.
5. Develops positive relationships with members and provide motivational support and guidance.
6. Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
7. Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
8. Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
9. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
10. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
11. Responsible for finding substitutes for classes in a timely manner.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Experience preferred in related fitness or teaching field.
3. Certifications: CPR , AED, Basic First Aid certification. If not certified, will become certified within 30 days of employment.
4. Healthy Lifestyle Principles Certifications through the Y of the USA required within 12 months of hire.
5. Foundations of Group Exercise or Foundations of Strength and Conditioning Certification through the Y of USA within 12 months of hire.
6. At least 21years of age.
7. Completes Praesidium within 7 days of hire date.
8. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
9. Understands the YCMA is a public accommodation committed to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
1. Ability to demonstrate and perform all class movements.
2. Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
3. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds in weight.
4. Must be able to lift and carry fitness equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
5. Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
6. Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
7. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.