|Swim Team Assistant Coach|
|Caroline Family YMCA|
Job Application Deadline:
Department Head Email Address:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal sport. Creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Promotes and supports the potential of all youth in programs and facilitates peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall experience. Assists head coach in all functions and takes over responsibilities in his/her absence.
1. Supervises a group of children.
2. Implements team activities including all scheduled practices and games.
3. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
4. Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents, children and other staff. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
5. Lead by example among team parents to support the responsibilities of the referee.
6. Coach assigned group of children and focus on skill development, safety, fair play, sportsmanship and fun.
7. Participates in YMCA Support Campaign functions.
8. Attends staff meetings and trainings.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
2. Previous experience working with children.
3. Must be at least 18 years of age.
4. Complete YMCA coaches training within 90 days of being hired.
5. CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
6. Completes Praesidium within 7 days of hire date.
7. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
8. Understands the YMCA is a public accommodation committed to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
1. Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
2. Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
3. Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
4. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
5. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
6. Must be able to lift and or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
7. Must be able to lift and carry fitness equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
8. Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.